May 31, 2008

The Gold Wedding Band and How to Scam a Scammer











The end of our Kenya trip brought us to Paris. As we walked along the Seine River, we were stopped by a woman who bent down beside me and picked up a men’s gold wedding band that was at my feet. She handed it to me. I explained that it wasn’t mine and that I didn’t drop it. She said that I must take it, “it is your lucky day”. Again, I refused. She would not take “no” for an answer, so I held it in my closed fist. She then asked for money for food as I had profited from the gold ring. Sensing a scam, I handed her the ring and left.

Some time later, I saw a different woman walk up to a couple, bend over and hand the tourist a gold band, that he apparently dropped. This time, I photographed the transaction. She used the same tactic and explained to the couple that they must have dropped the ring and they must take it, as it was their “lucky day”.

Enjoying psychology, I jumped in, in an attempt to manipulate the scammer, having had some time to think about the scam that was attempted on me.

Remember, she was pawning it off on the unsuspecting victim who was holding the ring.

I walked up and explained to him that it was a ruse to get his money. I asked for the ring and feigned throwing it in the river. The woman went ballistic. At that point, I showed the man that she actually wasn’t trying to give the ring away, but rather cheat him of his money. Otherwise, she would not have been angry that the ring was supposedly in the river.

I handed her the palmed item and she left, yelling “F--- You, sir”. She met up with her partner (who apparently would go to the victim, after the transaction and exchange of money, and pretend that she, in actuality, lost the ring and he must return it to her, or face the consequences).

Now, my interest was piqued. I pondered how I could “scam the scammer” if this happens again (as I found out later from the police, that this is a typical ploy to cheat tourists-must have been the camera around my neck that gave me away).

Sure enough, 20 minutes later, another woman bent down at my feet and held out a gold band and exclaimed that I must have dropped it. I explained that I had not, but again, she insisted I take it. I looked her in the eye and said, someone has lost this valuable item, we must take it to the police. I pocketed the ring and motioned for her to accompany me and make a report.

This response was new to her, and caught her off guard. She said, “no, give it back”, an interesting response from someone who just tried to give it away.

Again, I persisted and began to walk in the opposite direction and motioned for her to come. She retreated because she surely did not want the police involved.

As I distanced myself from her, she yelled and I continued to motion for her to follow.

After several blocks, she was nowhere to be seen and I had the ring.

I did find two officers who explained that this was, in fact, a scam on tourists.

I produced the ring. They laughed.

Isn’t Satan this way. He appeals to our lust with bait but there is a hook at the end. What we think is a treasure, is actually something that depletes our time, money or relationships. (He comes to rob, kill and destroy-Jn 10:10).

The pairs of women have found this to be a lucrative venture, otherwise they would not continue to use the same tactics.

Satan is this way too, his plans work so why should he change.

Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls about like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. 1 Pet 5:8

No comments: